Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Q&A When are Braxton Hicks contractions normal?

Hi Doc, How are you? I Hope all is well for you. I am writing to you because I have a patient that came in today with complaints of Braxton Hicks Contractions, she has about 6 weeks to go. Were in your book can I find information on how to help her with this situation. 

Dr. Scott P. Marietta, GA



Hi Doc,

Thanks for trusting me with your practice member.  Here's the deal on braxton hicks....they start almost from the very beginning of the pregnancy and continue all the way up until labor starts.  They are only noticeable when mom gets "bigger".

There is nothing to do except let them happen.  They are nature's way of toning and strengthening the uterus for real labor.  Just like weight lifting, with each muscle contraction strength is increased in that muscle.  Even thought they be be uncomfortable they are very necessary for an effective labor.  If they are causing her true menstrual type pain, they may not be Braxton Hicks and could actually be early labor.  So make sure she gets that checked if it is concerning her.  Staying hydrated (as you already know) is vitally important as well. 

Does this help?  Let me know if I can answer anything else or elaborate more on this topic. 

Love & Gratitude

Dr. Karen Gardner




Want to build, grow and perfect your Pregnancy Practice? Let's get on a call to discuss your strategy. The first call is on me! Schedule now


Dr. Karen, just wanted to say wow...I've learned so much and I'm only into the 2nd module. This is the stuff we need to know in everyday practice! I could listen to you all day long!        ~ Dr. Katie Gelesko Stull

No comments:

Post a Comment