Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Q&A How to tell if a Baby is still breech.

The following question came to me from a doctor who is caring for a pregnant woman with a breech baby. This doctor wants help in determining baby's position.

Hey Dr :

I used your article to give me direction on a breech patient last week.  Her uterus relaxed almost immediately.  The baby turned about 90 degrees, but went back, or so I think, back to Breech.  I check her again this week using your protocols and found thins had changed.  Her pelvis was out but in a different pattern.  I adjusted what I found and will see her again to marrow.

Is this change typical?  Do you have any recomendations?  How can I verify if the baby has turned?

Thanks for your help.

Dr. B


Hi Dr. B,

Thanks for taking time to e-mail doc!  I'm glad the article has proven helpful to you.  Yes, changes like you are describing are VERY common in our practice and are often a really good sign.  Make sure, you check for pubic bone superiority, C2 rotation (If you already have...way to go!)

The baby's head exerts a lot of pressure inside of mom.  Depending on where mom feels most of her pressure can often indicate where baby's head is situated.  If she feels a lot of pressure up near her ribs, chances are the baby is breech.  However if the pressure is closer to her lower abdomen and bladder, good chances for a vertex position.

In my practice,  I wait for confirmation from the midwife to tell me for sure if the baby has turned.  They use the Leopold maneuver to determine baby's position.  Depending on your state, you may or may not be allowed to use this maneuver.  That's why I leave that up to our midwives to tell me. 

I hope this was helpful.  Please let me know how it goes.  Until next time...........
Love & Gratitude

Dr. Karen Gardner




Want to build, grow and perfect your Pregnancy Practice? Let's get on a call to discuss your strategy. The first call is on me! Schedule now


Dr. Karen, just wanted to say wow...I've learned so much and I'm only into the 2nd module. This is the stuff we need to know in everyday practice! I could listen to you all day long!        ~ Dr. Katie Gelesko Stull

No comments:

Post a Comment