Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Q&A Pregnant DC asks a ton of questions about...well...everything

A pregnant chiropractor just discovered she was pregnant and had a TON of questions about what to do and how to continue practicing, nutrition, etc. 

Follow along below.

I  just wanted to ask you about a couple things:

Do you think it's important to take folic acid supplements?  YES  ABSOLUTELY!!!  AND NO. DON'T DO IT. You need to take FOLATE and not FOLIC ACID.  Folic acid is the synthetic form of Folate. Folate is one of the most important supplements you will need during Pregnancy.  About 400 mcg is the standard found in most pre-natals.  It prevents spina bifida, oral cleft defects, tongue and lip tie, and other fusion abnormalities.  It's a necessity.

How do I find a good midwife? Ask people in your community who they would recommend.  There is an organization called DONA (Doula Assoc. of N. America) they may be able to direct you to a naturally centered midwife.  Remember, midwives can be medical, too.  So interview them to see who is a good fit for your needs and wants.  That's what I did. 

Do I need to go to an OB-GYN for a pre-natal visit? NO WAY!! You can see a midwife at anytime during your pregnancy and they are trained in regular GYN care as well!!

What's the usual thing a pregnant woman does in terms of prenatal care? My intuition is just that I need to find a good midwife that supports natural childbirth, and that I don't really need to go to an Ob-Gyn. Follow your intutition girlfriend.  You are right on the money!!

Any other things I should think about doing? Taking a child birth class would be great later on in your pregnancy.  I recommend Bradley or a Bradley like class.  It's a great way to build your practice, too!  You may even offer to hold the classes in your office (if you have the room) in exchange for your tuition.  You'll then have posters, signs, photos, etc of the importance of chiro care during pregnancy....offer exam, etc....you get the idea.

This won't affect me now, but what did you do recommend me to do towards the end of my pregnancy concerning my practice. I don't have anyone practicing with me and I was thinking of hiring an associate later on in about 7 months or so.  Great question!  You're right, it doesn't effect you now and it's far too much to go into via e-mail right now.   Right now I am coaching 2 women who just returned back to practice after having a baby.  One of them I coached right through her pregnancy on how to make the transition out of practice and now back into again after the birth of her baby.  If this is something that interests you, let me know.  We can set up a time where you can have a FREE call with me and discuss some possibilities to see if this would work or not.   The reason I recommended  it is, because when you take maternity leave and then re-enter the practice,  it really is a process that takes time to implement correctly and slowly.  Make sense?  Anyway, we can certainly discuss the options if you are interested.  OK?

Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.  I am SOOOOOOOOOO happy for you.  From what I know of you so far, I think you'll make a terrific mommy!  Until next time........


Love & Gratitude

Dr. Karen Gardner




Want to build, grow and perfect your Pregnancy Practice? Let's get on a call to discuss your strategy. The first call is on me! Schedule now


Dr. Karen, just wanted to say wow...I've learned so much and I'm only into the 2nd module. This is the stuff we need to know in everyday practice! I could listen to you all day long!        ~ Dr. Katie Gelesko Stull

No comments:

Post a Comment