Thursday, October 26, 2017

Q&A Can you adjust a patient with Placenta Previa?

Dr. A.W.:  Good afternoon! ...I am currently enrolled in your prenatal course.

Dr. Karen: AWESOME!!!  

Dr. A.W.: I've really been enjoying the information you have provided. 

Dr. Karen:Great! Thanks for sharing that!!  

Dr. A.W.: I had a quick question about adjusting contraindications for pregnant women.  Do you feel placenta previa is an absolute or a relative contraindication to the chiropractic adjustment?

 Dr. Karen: It really is a case  by case basis. For example. is it a complete or partial previa; is there active bleeding; are they on bed rest, etc.    

Dr. A.W.:If you feel it is safe to adjust, what kind of adaptations do you make, additional questions at each visit do you have for the mother? 

Dr. Karen: Adjusting ANY pregnant woman should NEVER include twisting of the abdomen or pelvis, so the same is true here. In these cases, I only use an instrument and SOT blocking to adjust. Both are extremely effective low force techniques that are not contraindicated.   I also get a letter from their primary care giver (OB or Midwife) that they are clear for low force chiropractic care to keep in their file and I DOCUMENT EVERYTHING!  By the way, there have been cases in my office and offices around the world, where the previa reduces; meaning that the placenta moves away from the cervix. With proper pelvic alignment - anything is possible!  
Dr. A.W.:Also, do you have any experience with taping and the pregnant woman?

Dr. Karen: I personally, do not do this. I do now docs who do and swear by it.   

Dr. A.W.:I have seen some taping strategies used for women during pregnancy, used some on patients, and had it applied to me during my pregnancies.  I was wondering if you have heard of any adverse events from taping the abdomen like during a pregnancy belt or diaphragm taping.  I can't find any literature on the topic except that their skin is more sensitive.

Dr. Karen: Sorry, I am unaware of anything. Maybe if I share this with my other groups, pages and blog someone reading it will have some insight.  
Dr. A.W.:Thank you so much for your help!

Dr. Karen: My pleasure! 

Dr. A.W.: I'm hoping to get the course finished in the next month! 

Dr. Karen:I LOVE your ambition! You go!




Want to build, grow and perfect your Pregnancy Practice? Let's get on a call to discuss your strategy. The first call is on me! Schedule now


Dr. Karen, just wanted to say wow...I've learned so much and I'm only into the 2nd module. This is the stuff we need to know in everyday practice! I could listen to you all day long!        ~ Dr. Katie Gelesko Stull


No comments:

Post a Comment